Pages

Thursday, April 8, 2010

West Tampa Sandwich Shop: A Taste of Cuba

Today on an adventure to try some pupusas on Martin Luther King, my sister and I found ourselves outside an establishment that is closed on Thursdays. We ended up over at the West Tampa Sandwich Shop on Armenia Avenue, a favorite place to grab a meal for her. Apparently my parents used to bring us food from here when I was younger, but since we never dined there I can barely remember it.

The restaurant itself isn't too big. The tables are just barely adequate for a party of four and you sit pretty close other people. The place really reminds me of a true mom and pop diner with pictures all over the place and television playing the local news. The waitress was friendly and although nothing to brag about, she was helpful and put our orders in for us in a timely manner.



My nephew order pancakes, his current favorite breakfast food and they looked quite delicious with a nice golden brown color to them.


He snuck on camera.



My sister ordered their scrambled egg combo which looked like a nice blend of many ingredients, she says it is her favorite. She also ordered a mango milkshake, which I regretted not ordering after trying hers, simply an amazing shake, thick with a rich mango taste. She says it is the main reason she comes to the West Tampa Sandwich shop.


The amazing mango shake.

The prices were really affordable. Most items were less than $6 and even dinner prices are around $8. The sandwiches are around $3 which is a pretty unbeatable price. The shakes were around $2. It is certainly a good place to come by when you are on a tight budget.





I ordered their BLT sandwich and requested that they put a fried egg inside (hadn't had breakfast yet), along with some french fries, and a Malta. The BLT sandwich was fantastic, the bread they use for it is what really made it taste so good, the bacon was cooked just right and the tomatoes tasted very fresh. They cooked the egg just how I asked, with plenty of yolk but not excessively runny even though it was sunny side up, sometimes you have to be cautious with this at restaurants because your egg just ruin your meal if they do not make it correct, but here it was just right.



The french fries were also quite delicious. I can associate the taste closest to that of Steak N Shake (though almost 10x thicker fries) and they went great with my sandwich.


Their steak sandwich, which my sister's boyfriend ordered.

Overall this place is a pretty nice find with affordable, quality meals, and I certainly want to try out their steak sandwich and other menu items in the future.

Restaurant Name: West Tampa Sandwich Shop
Address: 3904 N Armenia Ave. Tampa, FL 33607
Phone Number: (813) 873-7104

West Tampa Sandwich Shop on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment